Thursday 4 February 2021

Its Been Such A Long Time


I used to have this blog, ok it was never up to much, but it did occasionally get a little bit of love, and things appeared...wargames stuff mostly, models I was working on, various historical periods that took my fancy,  I changed these more times than my undercrackers!! There was always something different, laying on the desk of doom, whilst I either hacked at it, or splattered paint over it, sharing the details in glorious technicolour, with a few pithy word to accompany the rather dubious imagery.

Sometimes things  got finished, and made their way to New Buckenham Historical Wargamers, to appear on a table, and fight their own little miniature battle.

Then real life happened, and I had another battle to fight, this one didn't involve, toy soldiers, and dice, and was not so miniature, but rather massive.

I have previously shared my cancer news, I was diagnosed with prostate cancer in 2018, and had surgery to remove the tumour, and my prostate..and for a while all was going well, the cancer had gone, and the prognosis was good...Then in October 2019, I was given some somewhat sobering news, my cancer  had returned, as metastatic prostate cancer of my lymphatic system, a series of scans revealed two new tumours on lymph nodes in my pelvic region!

More treatment was required, with no positive outcome promised...the prognosis changed, to maybe 5 years, possibly 10, or if the growth accelerated, may be as little as two years...I was 56 at the time, looking at being dead just after turning 60....My world collapsed.

2020 rolls into view, and what a year this bastard turned out to be!!  I started chemotherapy on 22nd january, 6 rounds of poison pumped into my body, I won't share the details, lets just say its not an experience I want to wish on anyone....in August I began 34 rounds of radiotherapy, targeted to hit key areas, but they could not guarantee that other areas would not be hit...again, not going to share the fun, just want to say, visiting hospital, on your own 5 days a week, in the middle of the Coronavirus crap, was not something I would choose to do again....9 months off work, feeling like crap, and scared shitless that none of this was going to work...that was my 2020 experience.

I waited and waited until November, to hear whether to not the treatment had worked, and was finally given the news i wanted to hear.....the cancer has gone, no trace in my system, dear god you should have seen the tears!!!

Now theres no guarantee that I am in remission, I have to wait three years before they can confirm that I am clear of cancer, but its a massive victory for me.

Being given your life back changes you. I have a fresh outlook on life..I'm slowly getting my head around what happened, and its going to be a bit of a journey, but one thing I have got back, is my love of all things historical, and my desk is once again full of rubbish, which will rise from under the desk, from the boxes where its hides, to take its turn on the desk of doom, whilst I share the nonsense with you all again.


FUCK ME, ITS SO GOOD TO BE BACK😂😂

 

12 comments:

  1. Good news! Looking forward to see what rises from beneath the desk. Best whishes and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back to the blogosphere Nigel, may your future battles be table top ones, onward!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It’s great to see you back Nigel and really pleased to hear your positive news!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome back! Your absence was noted, and wishing you many more years of life And minature adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome back to the Blogosphere, Nigel! May there be decades more blissful modelling nonsense poured forth on these pages.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for you! Enjoy life, the hobby and blog about what you want.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's the best thing I have heard all week. Wonderful that you are back and looking forward to hearing all your plans and projects.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great to see those smiles again....

    ReplyDelete
  9. That’s great news! Though I do not personally know you I have friends and family who’ve fought valiantly to live through various cancers and have been through hell as you have. Many did not survive. Congrats to you sir! It’s good to start the day with some good news for a change. Paint on and enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can't imagine. You're very brave. Best wishes for permanent remission!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Really pleased you had positive news Nigel
    Clive

    ReplyDelete