Sunday 12 May 2013

Plastic...................Fantastic?

A while back, Doug Powell gave me a sprue from his box of Victrix Miniatures Later Greek Hoplites. I have finally got around to sticking one of them together, just to see how they would compare with my Aventine stuff.
To be honest, I was pleasantly surprised with how they turned out!!
Right. here's a quick review, and we start the ball rolling, with a few sprue pics! Now I have no idea how many different sprues there are in the box, nor how the figures go together, so this could be interesting!




You appear to get eight bodies on each sprue, a selection of different arms, eight heads and some seperate helmet crests, the spears and shields, a couple of shield aprons, plus some scabbarded swords. I think that certain arms will go with certain bodies, but without any instructions, I can't be certain.
They are nice clean looking models, and have some lovely detail. Some reviews are saying that the models are inaccurate, well they look like Hoplites to me, and to be frank, thats good enough.

I cut off a selection of bits, and made up a figure. There was a certain amount of clean up required, as always with plastics, you will get mould lines, and where the bits are cut from the sprue trees. A bit of work with a sharp knife, and some files, and we were ready for some glue action.
I used my good old Humbrol Liquid Poly, and the plastic responded well, with all the parts welding nicely together.


Here he is, the finished product, with an Aventine Italiote Hoplite, and to my amazement, they actually look just fine together!!
Would I use them in the same unit? Probably not, but I would certainly recommend the Victrix models.

So, the pros and cons of using the plastics: Well, they are relatively cheap, you get 48 figures in a box, and if you shop around, you can pick up a box for £20. The models are very well detailed, and they go together nicely too. They fit in Ok with the more popular metal ranges, but I would not use them together.
One box will get you 4 bases for Impetus, with 12 figures on each base.
Being plastic, there is more work involved, you have to have a level of modelling skill to put them together. Plastic, by its very nature, is fragile, and breakages will happen.
All in all though, I can't really find fault with the figures, and will invest in a box or two, when I get around to building my Syracusan army.

6 comments:

  1. Plastics are the future in my humble opinion. While breakages happen, a blob of glue creates a permanent fix, unlike metals, where a repair will always be the weak point.

    Besides the obvious cost advantages, the figures are exceptionally easy to convert, should you tire of the possible permutations in a typical box set. While there are only so many ways you can hold a spear and shield, in more modern periods the possibilities are endless.

    Imagine your former range of SCW figures, with all the legs, arms and heads separate... how many possible 'unique' figures could you have made from that combination?

    As for metals... they apparently have 'heft', which for some, clearly outweighs all of these advantages, even if you do need arms like Popeye to carry an army about.

    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree plastics are the way forward and seeing next to Aventine miniatures they look very good

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the review. I've always wanted a Classic Greek army, although it's been a project almost permanently on the back burner. I also think hard plastics will be the future - until 3D printers become common household appliances and we can fabricate our own. The Wargames Factory Zulus I bought last year are a little fiddly to assemble but sturdy enough when done. I was pleased to find the plastic takes ordinary cheap craft acrylics with no bother at all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These plastics hoplites look very nice, and I particularly like the detail on the face of the Victrix figure. I've seen the Immortal hoplites which looked good and the Victrix Naps which are very well detailed. Though I still prefer a metal figures overall. But why are these plastic hoplites inaccurate?

    ReplyDelete
  5. The length of their tunics, oh yes, its that petty!! A few other bits like handgrips on the spears, and the selection of helmets. Nothing to get even slightly bothered by.
    I prefer metals, but the cost of them these days is quite frightening, so the plastics are a good option for Hoplite heavy armies. Plus you can add Metal commands to make them look a bit more interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously, the length of their tunics! The mind boggles that some people have nothing better to moan about!
      I agree with you regarding the metal v plastic debate, but there is still something satisfying about the weight of a little lead man in your hand (no pun intended!).

      Delete